Most suitable performance appraisal methods for the new generation of workers
Nowadays, human resource managers need to face more employee problem, especially the younger generation of workers, they need to use more special methods to inspire them.
- The importance of the recruitment process:
Recruitment, as the first link in enterprise human resources management, not only
is an important channel for enterprise to acquire excellent talents, but also determines whether an enterprise can establish a scientific and effective human resources management system, thus becomes the key to win and keep enterprise competitiveness.
Recruitment as the first part of human resource management, determines whether the enterprise can establish scientific and effective.
The human resource management system is also the key to win and maintain the competitiveness of enterprises.
Force intensive industry, product quality and brand is particularly important, and the quality of products and brands are on the quality consciousness and occupation accomplishment people out of production. The late US steel king Carnegie once said: “will I All plant equipment funds are taken away, but as long as I keep my organization staff, then four years later, I still am. A steel magnate Carnegie said a few words rustic companies to success, success is one that is enterprise.
- The main strategies used in recruitment and their related advantages and disadvantages
Recruiting from internal sourses:
Recruitment can be conducted within the organization via promotion and transfer among existing staffs.
1.In order to organize the staff to produce a strong incentive effect. For the promotion of employees, due to their ability and performance of the enterprise recognized, will produce a strong working power, and its performance and loyalty to the enterprise will be improved. For other employees, as the organization provides promotion opportunities for employees, so that the promotion is expected, the work will be more efforts to increase the loyalty and sense of belonging to the organization.
2.Higher reliability. Due to enterprise management personnel of the employee performance evaluation, personality traits, work motivation and development potential are more objective and accurate understanding and information relative to the external personnel is symmetrical enough, in a certain extent reduced “adverse selection” and “moral risk”, so as to reduce human error, improve the success rate of personnel decisions.
- Internal employee adaptability. From the operation mode, the existing staff to
better understand the operation of the organization mode, compared with the introduction of new employees from the outside, they can better adapt to the new job. Points from the angle of enterprise culture and internal staff have already agreed to and into the enterprise culture, and enterprise formation of career and destiny of the community, more recognition of enterprise values and norms, the more high sense of corporate responsibility to check the enterprise loyalty, into the new job adaptability stronger.
- May cause internal contradictions. “This part of the manufacturing” need to compete, and the result of the competition is the majority of the losers. The failure of competition employees may be downhearted, low morale, not conducive to the organization’s internal unity. Internal recruitment may also lead to the Department between the “dig” phenomenon, is not conducive to the collaboration between departments.
- Easily lead to inbreeding in the same organization within the employees have the same cultural background, may have “team thought” phenomenon, inhibit the individual creativity.Especially when the key positions within the organization by the grass-roots staff promotion, and rigid thinking, awareness, organization is not conducive to long-term development, such as the plight faced by General Electric in the 1990s is considered and long-term implementation of the internal recruitment strategy.
- Lose the opportunity to select external talents. Under normal circumstances, the external talent is more, blindly seek internal recruitment, reducing the external “fresh blood” into the organization of the opportunity, on the surface is cost savings, in fact it is a huge waste of opportunity cost.
- Unless there is a very good development / training program, the internal promotion will not meet their expectations in the short term, the internal development plan costs more than the employment of external direct suitable for the needs of the people.
Recruiting from external sourses:
- Is conducive to the establishment of image. External recruitment is a kind of effective foreign exchange and external recruitment will be up to its advertising effect, in the recruitment process, enterprise in its employees, customers and other external parties promote yourself, to form a good reputation.
- External recruitment to bring new ideas, new technology. Employees from outside the introduction of the existing organizational culture has a new, bold vision, and less subjective bias.
- Wider choice of room, is conducive to recruit outstanding talent. “External recruitment” of the source of a wide range of talent, the choice of full, with all kinds of conditions and different age levels of job seekers to meet the needs of enterprises to choose the right person.
- Can ease the tension between internal competitors. External recruitment can make the internal competitors get some kind of psychological balance, avoid the organization members do not unite.
- Screening for a long time, it is difficult.
- Adapt to the enterprise environment slowly.
- Need higher recruitment costs.
- Great decision risk.
- To affect the enthusiasm of internal staff.
- Plan basic questions and key criteria for a structured interview, and conduct a basic structured interview for different level position :
Structured interview is mainly divided into behavioral description interview and situational interview.
What is the content of structured interview?
1, resume screening criteria
2, value needs assessment
4, cultural matching degree
5, behavioral interview
It is also a combination of a complete structured interview.
In a structured interview, the main link can be divided into: 1, the opening, the main purpose is to create a relaxed atmosphere of the interview, to tell the candidates interview methods used in the interview. 2, the main background of the review. 3, behavioral events review. 4, additional information consultation. 5, the end of the interview. 6, assessment. Behavioral events are the main part of the interview, the interviewer should listen carefully, and make a record.
- Outline the major performance appraisal methods and their respective advantages and disadvantages
Performance evaluation table method,
The advantage of this method is that it can be used as a quantitative comparison, the evaluation standard is clear, and it is easy to make the evaluation results. Its disadvantage is that the standard of the determination of the need for the work must be a good understanding of the assessment table makers; assessment may have a certain subjectivity, can not accurately assess.
objective management method (MBO),
Objective management is the most typical result oriented performance evaluation method.
This method has the advantage of being able to through the target to mobilize the enthusiasm of the staff, try every means to improve work efficiency; is conducive to the control of employees in different situations in the direction; and staff is relatively free, can reasonably arrange their plans and their working methods and application. Its disadvantage is that the goal setting may have some difficulties, the goal must be of the excitation and has the possibility of implementation; the behavior of employees in a certain extent, the lack of a certain degree of evaluation.
key performance indicators (KPI)
The assessment of performance is simplified to several key indicators for assessment, the key indicators as evaluation standard, to make a comparative evaluation method in a certain extent, it can be said to be an effective combination of management by objectives and Pareto law employee
performance and key indicators.
The advantage of this method is that the standard is more vivid and easy to make assessment. Its disadvantage is that the standard is difficult to make a simple work; the lack of a certain quantitative; performance indicators are just some of the key indicators, the lack of a certain assessment of other content, it should be appropriate to pay attention to.
- Identify useful forms of interviewing techniques appropriate to various situations
How managers should deal with the issue from:
The literature perspective(5 ref):
The Exhibition Performance Appraisal Index System Based on stakeholder Theory
Exhibition performance should be evaluated from different pe rspectives of stakeholders．The benefits of each stakeholder can not be satisfied when evaluating the exhibition performance from a single perspective or only evaluating the economic performance of the exhibition．In this paper the stakeholders are defined on the basis of questionnaire investigation and classified by mathematical statistical method． According to the requirements of the stakeholders， the exhibition performance appraisal indicators are extracted and simplified by factor analysis，which leads to the formation of a set of performance appraisal index system ．It is an instructive attempt to work out the exhibition performance appraisal model from the perspective of stakeholders，which may provide theoretical foundation and practice instruction for exhibition performance appraisal in our country
Harvard Business School
One of your most sensitive duties as a manager is conducting performance appraisals. How do you objectively evaluate another person’s performance? What guidelines are there for talking to your direct reports about both their strengths and their weaknesses? How can you address a weakness to help an employee develop into a stronger member of your team? This book teaches you how to prepare for, conduct, and follow up on performance evaluations in ways that link employee performance to your company’s and group’s goals. You’ll
5 learn how to: Document employee development right from the start Set the appropriate tone in a performance review Address a performance problem Follow up on next steps with your employee
From the performance evaluation of development itself can the enterprise performance evaluation is divided to three stages: the first stage for enterprise performance evaluation form (in the middle of the 19th century to the 20th century, the early period), performance evaluation limited to financial evaluation; at the beginning of the second stage for the enterprise performance evaluation of perfect time (the 20th century to the 20th century 80’s mid), people began to systematically in client satisfaction, strategy and learning and innovation ability of non-financial indicators into the performance evaluation system of enterprise; the third stage is the performance evaluation of enterprise innovation and development period (20th century after the mid 1980s).
Step one:( Cost index) The main representatives are: Alexander Voll’s “ratio of financial statements analysis” and the DuPont financial system
Second stage: Non financial index: The main representative is the BSc (Balanced Scorecard), it is by the famous master of management Kaplan, Robert S. Kaplan and rehabilitation programme international consulting firm, Norton (David P.Norton) on the basis of summarizing the success of 12 large enterprises performance evaluation system, the experience based, the strategic management tool to evaluate the performance. The content of the Balanced Scorecard mainly includes the following 4 aspects: finance, customer, internal business process, learning and growth.
Third stage:Performance prism as the representative of the evaluation system. The evaluation system of performance prism is edited by British Kerr Fylde college Andy Neely, Chris – Adams, Michael Kennerley etc. the strategic performance management — beyond the Balanced Scorecard “, a Book creatively put forward, it is in the increasing development of strategic performance evaluation period, to the value of stakeholders for oriented evaluation system. Mainly includes the following 5 aspects: stakeholder satisfaction, stakeholder contribution, strategy, process, capacity.
First, managers must from mind abandon the use of performance management of staff to implement control punishment, etc. these negative purpose, first is in the affirmative, especially now with knowledge more and more positions, professional post occupy the assessment object is more and more high proportion, blindly use high strength, high mechanism to manage employees will only appear “Foxconn” phenomenon, so managers whether in manage with what tools, do not think is to “restrain” “repression” employees, but “excited”, “” “assist” the role, based on the purpose to design the system will be optimized step by step, the employee made positive support. So, it is sure that the performance management is the first goal of performance management.
Second, improvement, on the base of affirmation, did not reach the goal to communicate to find out the real reason that did not reach a goal, put forward the measures and the suggestions for improving, if the first step is in the affirmative, improvement of the second step may achieve the tangible, let the direct superior to paying attention to subordinate the practical difficulties encountered in the work process, provide necessary resources, techniques and methods of support and guidance, in order to achieve the three realms: ascension.
Gary Dessler. Human Resource Management.Prentice Hall Inc.1999.
Harvard Business School Press Oversea Publishing House 2006
Anyim, F.C. (2012). The role of human resource planning in recruitment and selection process. British Journal of Humanities and social sciences, 6(2), 68-78.
Doyle, A. (2015). How companies recruit. Retrieved from:
[acceded 30 March 2016]
GM Careers Facebook. (2016). GM Careers Facebook. Retrieved from:
[acceded 30 March 2016]
Kluemper, D. H., Rosen, P. A. (2009). Future employment selection methods: evaluating social networking web sites. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 246, pp. 567–580.
Russo, G., Gorter, C., Schettkat, R. (2001). Searching, hiring and labour market conditions, Labor Economics, 8 (5), pp. 553–571